Monday, January 26, 2009

That Monster Itch

Bebe hasn't been sleeping much. He itches a lot. He is just getting over a double whammy breakout - one after the other - and its beginning to look like the routine is always followed by a bout of big time itch. I remind myself: you can tell when a wound is about to completely heal when it itches.

But THIS itch is causing a lot of aggravation to Bambino. He doesn't get quality sleep at all. Under normal circumstances, a dose of Hydroxyzine (Atarax) keeps everything under control but this is far from ordinary. Last night at midnight when he was screaming and making himself bleed from aggresive scratching, I turned to Doxepine.

It was prescribed by the UCLA dermatologists a couple of months ago when he had another bout with the itch, but I resisted from giving it to him. What parent would drug her baby, right? But last night, I gave in. The fact that Bambino is just recovering from weightloss due to gastroenteritis did it for me. I told myself, he wouldn't be able to gain back the weight he lost of he isn't getting quality sleep.

Doxepine put him out all right, but I was up all night fearing negative reactions. I'm glad it didn't put him out completely. He still woke every couple of hours wanting to be nursed and he still suckled the night away. I guess the drug just relaxed him to the point of drowsiness. Still, I'm hoping that would be the last time i'll ever give it to him.

We saw the Immunologists last week and Bambino had another set of blood work done. I'm still awaiting the results.

Right now, we are just trying to fatten him up like the little Porky Pig.

No comments: