Tuesday, June 9, 2009

At My Wit's End

He isn't eating. He isn't sleeping. He's not growing. He is not even pooping!

Last week, we made an emergency appointment to see Dr. H, Bambino's new Dermatologist to see if he has new ideas about the itch. We were in and out of his office. He took one look at the baby and declared that he had Staph infection. I was surprised because he has been on Keflex for 2 weeks already and he has 1 more week to go. He told me Keflex apparently is not doing the job anymore.

So he wrote a script for Bactrim and told me to give Bambino a bleach bath twice a week. He sounded so positive that the itching will miraculously disappear in five days, "otherwise, call me" he says.

So that night, I gave him a bleach bath. I don't know if it was my imagination but he stopped scratching right after his bath. He also ate more than usual at dinner that evening. Even sleep was a little better that night. I was beginning to feel hopeful.

And then on Thursday morning, everything was back to the usual. The Feeding Therapist and Dietitian were there but Bambino refused to eat anything - he just sat on his chair furiously scratching at his hands, head and whatever part of his body he can reach. Friday was worse because in addition to the itches, he was also constipated. Dr. H warned me that the new antibiotic could give him either loose bowel or constipation - I guess I should be thankful that he got the "lesser of two evils." And so because he feels bloated, he also refuses to eat or drink anything besides breast milk.

Yesterday after conferring with his Pedia, we tried suppositories to help him go potty, but it didn't do the job.

On days like these, the idea of a feeding tube becomes very, very attractive to me. I know it is extreme and as much as I'd like to avoid drastic measures as much as I could, I am questioning myself whether my aversion to medical procedures is good for my baby.

Right now, the GI doctor is just waiting for all medical records from UCLA in order to review his case, then he will recommend whether or not we will go for the feeding-tube route.

I hope the doctors know what they are doing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen!

I' sorry that you're going through this. I want you to know that I think he's very lucky to have you as his mom, and I know that you're doing the best you can. Please know that we're all here for you if you want to talk or vent, or whatever.
Big hugs!!
Erika

Courtney said...

Sounds very frustrating! I think Julia has a skin infection for the first time in about 8 months, I'll have to call the doc tomorrow - her skin was doing great, even her scalp cleared up, and now her skin is just deteriorating again, and I know it's painful for her. I wish there was a magic cure!