Thursday, December 25, 2008

My Babies Make Everything Worthwhile

Babies are the most self-centered, impatient and loud human beings on the planet. They keep you up all night, they make you miss meals and showers, throw up on you - they literally take over your life.

In high school, i missed several outings, seminars and other school opportunities because I had to care for one of these babies.

When I had one of my own, I had to stop my entire life as I knew it, in order to raise one. I left college, learn to cook, manage a household and later on make a living - starting at a tender age of 19.

In retrospect, I have no regrets. Oh, only one: not finishing college. But that is still in the horizon - as soon as this little one lets go of me, I can always go back.

For while babies think they are the center of the Universe and you have to be at their beck and call, ready to satisfy their whims; they are also the most loving and forgiving. And the happy sounds they make are more beautiful than any music.




Merry Christmas to each one of my babies. They are now scattered all around the globe. And my yuletide wish is for them to be together again in one place - Christmas or not.



They are not so small babies anymore. And though they didn't come from me, they are still my babies. I rocked them to sleep, sung lullabies for them, changed their diapers, (hand)washed their soiled cloth diapers, gave them their first haircut, trimmed their nails, suctioned their clogged noses, gave them their flu medicines, took them to their friends' birthday parties, organize their own birthday parties, shopped for presents for them, dressed them ...

And in return, I was given their unconditional love. I like to think I am their favorite Auntie. And I'm still holding on to the belief that I am my older son's best buddy, for he is truly mine. My life would be a lot difficult without him.



And I am most thankful above all, for this tiniest baby of them all and one with special needs. He fills our hearts with joy. He has been through so much but he is one tough little cookie. I am looking forward for my other babies to finally meet him.

No comments: